Monday, September 19, 2011

Holiday Playlist: Yael Naim's latest album casts a spell


Do you remember the song New Soul that came out a few years back, by Israeli born singer Yael Naim - you know, the one that was used by Apple in their marketing adverts? Her last album was on high rotation in my home and office, and the opening verse to that song always ended up stuck in my head. "I'm a new soul, I came to this strange world hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take. But since I came here, felt the joy and the fear, finding myself making every possible mistake". Don't we all feel that way at one time or another in our lives? 
Yael has returned with a new album called 'She was a Boy', her second with her long time collaborator and musician David Donatien, and created and recorded during a long 2 year cocooning in a Parisian apartment. It comes loaded with her signature grace and pared back tones that can swing from sweet to melancholic and in to pure sunshine and happiness. It's just been released here in Australia by one of our favourite purveyors Cartell Music, so we were excited to get our hands on it and take it for a spin. Needless to say, it's making our work day seem a little less chaotic and a whole lot more chilled. You can discover more Yael Naim and take a listen to 'She was a Boy" here


No comments:

Post a Comment